MapSource is free software from Garmin for viewing maps, waypoints, routes and tracks on a WINDOWS PC only (ie. Mapsource for MAC is not available), and transferring them to or from a Garmin GPS device.
POI = Point Of Interest (ie. a Waypoint on your GPS map). This is typically a point to represent a restaurant, lodge, campsite, fuel stop etc.
In the T4A Database, each POI has a unique identifier, called a spatial id (spat_id) / waypoint id. eg. w378277 etc.
4) SC OR S/C OR SC
SC or S/C or Sc = Self-Catering.
This is typically an accommodation unit that has overnight accommodation, with kitchen facilities that enable guests to prepare their own meals.
5) Tented Camp or Tented Lodge
This is where tents have been pre-erected as accommodation - it is fixed, there are usually beds and linen in, usually very comfortable. Guests do not bring their own tents with.
Waypoint = Point Of Interest (ie. a POI on your GPS map). This is typically a point to represent a restaurant, lodge, campsite, fuel stop etc.
In the T4A Database, each waypoint has a unique identifier, called a spatial id (spat_id) / waypoint id. eg. w378277 etc.
7) DNPW ( Department of National Parks and Wildlife in Zambia)
Do not confuse this with Botswana's wildlife authority, which is the DWNP (Department of Wildlife & National Parks).
Note that ZAWA (Zambia Wildlife Authority) no longer exists.
See this info from Wikipedia:
The Zambia Wildlife Authority (ZAWA) was an autonomous agency of the Zambian Government established to manage and conserve Zambia’s wildlife estate comprising 20 National Parks, 36 Game Management Areas and one bird sanctuary, which cover 31 percent of the country’s land mass.
It was established in 1999 under the Zambia Wildlife Act replacing the former Department of National Parks and Wildlife Service.
In 2015 it was announced that the Zambia Wildlife Authority would be abolished with its functions returning to the Ministry of Tourism and Arts.
In 2016 the Zambia Wildlife Authority was dissolved and its responsibilities passed to the newly formed Department of National Parks and Wildlife a department of the Ministry of Tourism and Arts.
8) DWNP (Department of Wildlife & National Parks in Botswana)Do not confuse this with Zambia's wildlife authority, which is the DNPW (Department of National Parks and Wildlife).
9) Basecamp – what is it?Garmin BaseCamp is a map viewing software package primarily intended for use with Garmin GPS Navigation products. This is free software. Features:
- View map and satellite imagery and transfer it to the GPS device.
- Plan trips by entering routes and waypoints and transferring them to the device.
10) LOW SULPHUR DIESEL (LSD)The POI (eg. Fuelstop) sells diesel with a low sulphur content. We use the abbreviation "LSD" in some POI names to indicate this on our data.