1) NAVIGATOR APP: CompatibilityPlease note that our Navigator APP is only compatible with cellphone, tablet or ipad devices. (ie. not with in-car navigation android type systems).
2) GPS MAPS: maps.me and google maps compatibilityNeither Google nor Maps.me allows for other maps to be loaded to it. These apps only run with their own maps.
3) GPS MAPS: BMW Motorad Navigator 5Is compatible with the T4A GPS Maps. How to insert the T4A GPS Maps SD Card:The BMW Navigator 5 has an SD Card slot, you will have to open at the back of the device and remove the battery to see the SD Card slot, also on the back of the device, there is another "flap" on the back of the device too which you can open (or lift rather), to connect the USB Cable that you would have received when you purchased the GPS.
4) GUIDE APP: CompatibilityOur APP is not compatible with:
- Android version 5
- Android Auto
5) GPS MAPS: The Garmin Overlander on Tracks4AfricaWe have tested the Overlander and here are our basic findings:
- It only communicates to a Windows computer, not Mac.
- It is possible to connect it to Basecamp on a Windows computer and we could load our maps to it and it is compatible.
- Our SD Card version from 19.10 will work with the Overlander. We realised that this unit and some other newer Garmin models require the folder structure on the Sd card to be slightly different and it was easy enough to include this change.
- We could not find a way to load and copy tracks from the Overlander without having to use the Explorer app though. So that is a bit of an oversight on their side as this unit is made to use in remote areas without the implicit need for internet access.
- The bracket the Overlander comes with does not hold up to off road travel for long. Our unit was in fact shipped with a RAM ball adapter and I would strongly recommend doing this conversion and mounting the unit with RAM fittings and suction cups.
6) GPS MAPS: Polnav NavigatorOur Garmin SD cards will not work on this device.We manufacture a T4A SD card which runs on WinCE and supply this to Planet Electronics. It could be that this may work however we cannot say for sure as we do not create cards specifically for the device you have. The manufacturer or dealer should be able to assist you with this.We do not sell the WinCE cards ourselves but you can contact Planet Electronics.
7) GUIDE APP: Android in-car navigation systemsOur App will be compatible with an Android in-car navigation systems on which the App can be purchased and installed via Google Play on the device itself.
8) GPS-AUTO: WITH WHAT IN-CAR NAVIGATION SYSTEMS IS T4A IGO SD CARD COMPATIBLE WITH?
The in-car navigation systems are divided in two general categories, those that are supplied by the manufacturer of the vehicle and those that have been fitted aftermarket.
For factory fitted systems: (ie. T4A IGO SD CARD is not compatible)
- the manufacturer of the vehicle is the only entity who can provide maps. In the case of Toyota they do have their own proprietary system and no 3rd party can load maps to these units.
For the aftermarket systems: (ie. T4A IGO SD CARD is compatible in IGO software format)
- the units are 'open', and most of the time WinCE or Android based and in most of these cases they use navigation software from companies like NNG who provides the iGO software. Our T4A maps are compiled in the iGO format, but to make it work on a specific unit we have to request from NNG that the unit be analysed and the correct settings applied to the software, e.g. on which port the GPS is or screen resolution etc.
To date the iGO software with T4A maps have been tested and compiled for the Caska (in-car navigation) hardware which is an aftermarket system. Planet Electronics provides our software and the Caska units, and support in this regard.
9) GPS MAPS: MAPSOURCE COMPATIBILITY WITH OLDER GARMIN GPS UNITS
Mapsource will only be compatible with older Garmin GPS units.
Mapsource was phased out many years ago by Garmin, so there is no new updates on it, hence it keeps on working. But as Garmin introduces new GPS models these are not compatible with Mapsource. Mapsource will not work with new units from the last three years.
Basecamp is compatible with new and old Garmin GPS units - however in the latest Basecamp update there is a problem with transferring GPS maps from Basecamp to a GPS unit. (June 2018).
10) GPS MAPS: WHICH GPS UNITS ARE COMPATIBLE WITH TRACKS4AFRICA GPS MAPS?
Our Tracks4Africa GPS maps are only compatible to Garmin GPS devices only.
Requirements for your GPS to be compatible with our maps:
- Must be able to read Garmin maps
- Must be able to receive maps (a SD card slot is not a requirement)
- Should be able to receive automotive maps from PC /Mac
Examples of Compatible Garmin Devices: (ie. please note there are many more compatible Garmin Devices, these are just a few examples. Some may be outdated. All new Garmin Devices should be compatible with Tracks4Africa Maps).
- Garmin Aera Range:
- We have not been using this specific unit ourselves but that from what we can see it should work as the unit allows you to add maps and it has street navigation.
- Garmin BMW Motorrad Navigator
- Garmin Camper 760
- Garmin Camper 780
- Garmin Dezl 780LMT-D HGV 6.95" Sat Nav
- Garmin DriveAssist™ 51 LMT-S
- Garmin DriveSmart 51 LMT-S
- Garmin DriveSmart™ 50 LMT-D
- Garmin DriveSmart 55MT-S
- Garmin DriveSmart™ 55
- Garmin Drive 52
- Garmin Drive 60 LMT
- Garmin Drive 61 LMT-S
- Garmin DriveSmart 65 LMT-S
- Garmin Edge Touring
- Garmin Edge 1000
- Garmin eTrex 20 (is a good option, but the screen is a bit small)
- Garmin eTrex 30 (is a good option, but the screen is a bit small)
- Garmin Etrex Touch 25
- Garmin Etrex Touch 35 (ie. The SD card slot is behind the batteries, inside the compartment)
- Garmin Fenix 6X Pro Solar (We do not think that the Fenix would support Automotive Routing, however it does look like you can load additional maps to the unit. Our maps are compatible to the Garmin format so it should be able to work on this device, but the actual device might not be able to do routing. This means you can use the map as a static map. In Basecamp you would be able to use our maps to create routes and convert to a Course or Track for your watch. We would suggest you test it out on a demo map. Let us know if you want to do this and we can send you a link to one of our regional maps to test before you decide to buy.)
- Garmin GPSMap 276Cx
- Old Garmin GPSMap 276C (refer to also to FAQ 'Using T4A GPS Maps on the Old Garmin GPSMap 276C')
- Garmin Monterra
- Garmin NuviCam
- GARMIN NuviCam LMTHD
- Garmin Montana 600
- Garmin Colorado 300
- Garmin Nüvi 40
- Garmin Nüvi 40LM
- Garmin Nüvi 42LM
- Garmin Nüvi 50
- Garmin Nüvi 205
- Garmin Nüvi 205W
- Garmin Nüvi 500
- Garmin Nüvi 2595
- Garmin Nüvi 2597
- Garmin Nüvi 2789
- Garmin Nüvi 3790
- Garmin Nüvi 3760
- Garmin Montana 650t
- Garmin Oregon 450
- Garmin Oregon 750
- Garmin Overlander (ie. Older SD cards may not show up but from our 19.10 version is definitely compatible; Note that Overlander only supports Windows and not MAC)
- Garmin Zumo 350
- Garmin Zumo 595
- Garmin Zumo 660
- Garmin Zumo XT
Incompatible Garmin Devices:
- Garmin Edge 820 (ie. If trying to load the T4A GPS Maps onto this device's internal memory, the T4A GPS Map might wipe the Topo Map that is pre-loaded on the Garmin Edge 820).
- Garmin eTrex 10 (ie. it cannot handle maps)
- Garmin Forerunner 610 (ie. Garmin Forerunner 610 does not support any kind of mapping. It is a fitness device not intended for navigation).
- Garmin Foretrex 401 (ie. it is not a map capable GPS, i.e. it does not have the ability to load maps).
- Garmin GPSMAP® 60CSx (ie. The T4A GPS Maps on SD card will not work on this unit, as our SD cards are 4GIG, and this unit only accepts data cards of 64MB. Individual Mapsets purchased per region from our online shop will work, taken their sizes do not exceed 64MB. As at 2020 none of our regional maps exceeds 64MB. These maps are then opened in Mapsource/Basecamp (using MapInstall) on the customers PC, where they are then transferred to the connected GPS Device, to an SD Card of size 64MB).
- Garmin inReach Explorer+ (ie. The inReach is actually a repurposed DeLorme unit bought by Garmin and rebranded, however they never changed the firmware to be compatible with Garmin maps, hence the reason our Garmin compatible maps will not work for this device).
Garmin Devices Discontinued: (ie. Note that Garmin still provides support for these devices)
- Garmin Drive 50LM (P/N: 010-01532-4B) and Drive 60LM (P/N: 010-01533-4B).
- Garmin DriveAssist 50LMT (P/N: 010-01541-4A)
- Garmin DashCam 35 (P/N: 010-01507-04)
- Garmin DriveSmart 60LMT (P/N: 010-01540-4A)
Other incompatible devices:
- Polnav Navigator
Tracks4Africa Blog articles for more information: