CLICK ON THE FAQ’S BELOW TO VIEW THE ANSWERS:
1) GPS MAPS: The Garmin Overlander on Tracks4Africa
We have tested the Overlander and here are our basic findings:
- It only communicates to a Windows computer, not Mac.
- It is possible to connect it to Basecamp on a Windows computer and we could load our maps to it and it is compatible.
- Our SD Card version from 19.10 will work with the Overlander. We realised that this unit and some other newer Garmin models require the folder structure on the Sd card to be slightly different and it was easy enough to include this change.
- We could not find a way to load and copy tracks from the Overlander without having to use the Explorer app though. So that is a bit of an oversight on their side as this unit is made to use in remote areas without the implicit need for internet access.
- The bracket the Overlander comes with does not hold up to off road travel for long. Our unit was in fact shipped with a RAM ball adapter and I would strongly recommend doing this conversion and mounting the unit with RAM fittings and suction cups.